The ICFA/Richard Frinier Design Scholarship
The ICFA / Richard Frinier Design Scholarship was established in 2016 and is endowed by the renowned designer and his wife and partner, Catherine, to inspire design students in the creation of innovative outdoor living spaces for residential, contract and hospitality environments. The annual scholarship is awarded to the winner of an online competition in which college-level students submit their original designs for outdoor living products.
Students submit designs in the categories of furniture, textiles / materials, lighting, accessories or shade struct
ure to be judged on criteria including:
- innovation and original design related to use of materials
- aesthetics of form and style
- materials / textiles
- material performance in withstanding the elements of nature for full-time outdoor use
- colors / color options
- engineering and manufacturing
- concept sketch / illustration as compared to finished prototype or scale model
- adaptability across residential, contract and hospitality use and markets
- emotional values and connection with target audience and end-user
- social context
- timelessness of design regardless of the styling of the design
- marketability / salability / story.
The winner of the ICFA / Richard Frinier Design Scholarship Competition will receive:
- A $5,00 scholarship to support their design studies made payable to their university
- One round-trip economy class airfare ticket and two nights’ hotel stay in Atlanta to attend Casual Market Atlanta with a tour by industry mentors
- Personal introductions to Richard Frinier, Jackie Hirschhaut, Executive Director of ICFA, and the Chairman of the Board of Directors of ICFA during Casual Market Atlanta
- An in-person or phone meeting with Richard Frinier to discuss student’s design career interests and how best to apply their interests, talents and energy within the casual furniture industry in the future
- An award presentation of the ICFA / Richard Frinier Design Scholarship at the ICFA Annual Meeting on July 12, 2023
- Meet the 2019 recipient – Quinten Juan Sanchez
- Meet the 2018 recipient – Chhavi Kashyap
About Richard Frinier
RICHARD FRINIER has dedicated over 35 years designing award-winning furniture, textiles, lighting and accessories for interiors and exteriors that inspire people to create relaxing spaces that bring the quality of indoor living outside and the casual spirit of the outdoors inside. He has created thousands of designs across hundreds of collections generating over $1 billion in sales worldwide. His range of work encompasses soft modern and contemporary to transitional, traditional and exotic forms with an unmistakable essence of understated modernity blended with neoclassicism.
Designing for and fueling popular lifestyle trends, including the outdoor room, stay-cations and day-cations, luxury spa resort and resort-at-home living, Richard Frinier believes that we should all take the time to unplug, unwind and undo to relax, refresh and renew. He would like everyone, no matter how rushed or hurried, to make the time to take five-minute vacations throughout each day – inside or outside – and enjoy the moment.
“All we have is time. How will you spend yours?” ~ Richard Frinier
Richard Frinier has been recognized with over 90 product design excellence and career achievement awards. He received the International Casual Furnishings Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2009, and was inducted into the American Home Furnishings Hall of Fame in 2016. In 2018, he was named among the Top 40 Influencers in the Home Furnishings Industry Over the Past 40 Years by Furniture Today newspaper.